The most trusted, peer-reviewed standard that covers biofuels and all types of biomaterials, and evaluates the whole supply chain.
Is accompanied by comprehensive guidance and tools, developed by technical experts, to help achieve sustainability across continents in an efficient and ethical way, and that help operators to calculate emissions.
Is backed up by a user-friendly certification process that reduces risk for all stakeholders involved. It is aligned with the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals and specifically addresses ecosystem services, food security, rural and social development and water availability.
The RSB, its member network, partnerships and certified projects represent best practice in sustainability and promote the development of the bioeconomy.
Any bio-based feedstock, biofuels, biomass-derived products or by-products can be certified to the RSB Standard. The RSB Standard also covers complete supply chains, as well as novel biomass and biomaterial technologies. Read more about Certification here.
1. The RSB Standard is global, and applicable to all bio-based feedstocks.
2. The RSB Standard doesn’t just cover biofuels. Indeed, rather than being for specific commodities or markets, the RSB Standard can also be applied to all biomaterials and therefore supports the global bioeconomy.
3. The RSB Standard is designed with industry stakeholders, with a clear appreciation of real world production, processing and marketing challenges. It is updated regularly with members taking an active role.
4. The RSB Standard is backed up by a user-friendly certification scheme that is risk-based and focuses on the issues that matter most.
5. The RSB Standard is accompanied by comprehensive guidance documents, developed by technical experts to help achieve sustainability in an efficient way.
6. The RSB Standard is based on a full set of principles and criteria covering all crucial sustainability issues. Selecting certification to the RSB Standard demonstrates genuine commitment to the future of ethical, sustainable and credibly-sourced biomaterials, and ensures your sustainability scheme meets global challenges including climate, biodiversity, hunger and poverty.
7. The RSB Standard is the strongest and most trusted of its kind, recognised as such by the World Wildlife Fund (WWF), International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) and Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), and widely recognised by regulatory authorities in Europe, the US and elsewhere, allowing RSB-certified products swift approval and preferential market access.
8. The RSB is a full International Social and Environmental Accreditation and Labelling (ISEAL) member. ISEAL membership confers the highest credibility on sustainability standards, and the RSB complies with all of ISEAL’s rigorous and internationally recognised codes.
RSB is a full member of the ISEAL alliance and The RSB Standard is constantly evolving to adapt to new technology, incorporate new research and insights into sustainability issues.
Download the documents relating to the certification standard, guidelines and guidance for operators and assurance system standard and other standards.
The RSB offers trusted, credible tools and solutions for sustainability and biomaterials certification that mitigate business risk, fuels the bioeconomy and contributes to the UN Sustainable Development Goals that enables restoration of ecosystems and the promotion of food security.
International Environment House 2
7-9 Chemin de Balexert
CH-1219 | Chatelaine (Geneva) | Switzerland
+41 22 534 97 33